Dishpan Hands

Although I knew I was assigned to the Kitchen Crew, I really didn't know what I would be doing here.  Now I know.  I wash dishes.  Tons and tons of dishes.  And the season hasn't really started.  Folks here say this is nothin' like it will be. Yesterday when I finished working, I was so beat, I almost skipped supper.  Almost. 


My trainer is a guy named Jim, Chef Jim, who has been working here for 25 years.  He's in his late 60's or 70's and really nice guy. He is really comfortable to work with, no question is too trite, and he realized that Bev and I know nothing about professional kitchens.  My old lab tech training is actually helpful. I really like everyone I'm coming in contact with here.  All the returning staff are extremely helpful, encouraging and salt of the earth people.  Most of the returnees are still enamored with Yellowstone to the degree that I am.

although my evil roomie moved out, I still have a sort of roomie, as we share the same bathroom.  She is Brenda, late 50's, from Florida.  We met on the original bus from Bozeman when she almost made the bus stop because she had to pee.  My kind of woman.  I shared my Nyquil and she washed by towels. Brenda is very friendly, talks to everyone, and everyone talks to her.  Too bad she's a size 8, so I can't borrow any clothes from here as I hear roommates do.

I'll try to get some photos of me in my full regalia, of the kitchen where I am training, and the huge, huge kitchen where I will be working when Snow Lodge opens on April 26.

i still haven't ventured from the Old Faithful Area, but have seen the geyser field a few times. 

Conversations around the breakfast, lunch and dinner tables are all over the place.  Mostly, where are you from at this point.  When I said Central Pa, someone asked about the Amish, and we had a  discussion about how conservative some are that they don't have zippers.  One of the guys suggested that the many ravens around here are probably not Amish as they can open zippers and velcro straps.  Maybe you had to be there to truly appreciate the timing that made it rather humorous. 

More tomorrow. 

Comments

  1. No doubt about your dishpan hands. Take it easy don't wash every dish. Skip some for just the fun of it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wolf Video from Yellowstone

Art, just mostly my art.

More pictures